~/`~/`Tech Podium~/`~/`

About life as an info-tech - arguing (preaching?) about what tickles my mind. I like Internet Protocol (IP). Which version? Never mind. But I run on IP. Yes, I do ~/`~/`~/` on IP!
Call Me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Riverside, CA, United States

Regular guy? Maybe. Was lucky enough to go places on foot, riding, driving, sailing, flying and even dreaming. I do tricks connecting tech-devices and teaching device users - that gave me the wherewithal to go places in Africa, Arabia, Europe, America and want to go to Asia, then into space to Mars (dream on, dreamer) ! Childhood pass time was always in a mechanical workshop fixing something - so i tinker a lot. I like meeting and knowing people.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Of poverty, bribery and corruption

On the morning of the 23 of October 2013, i arrived at the Entebbe International Airport, Uganda, set to board a British Airways flight to London.

I had with me the usual stuff people carry to relatives and friends who live abroad - salted smoke-dried fish, inter alia. The man at the security scanner looked dejected and kind of mean when he asked why i was carrying a lot of dry fish. To him, ten pieces of dry fish was a lot! He said that i must be taking it for export.

Well, i explained with due humility that it was for home consumption and of little value, to say the least. Then he kept asking this and that question, and quoted airport and aviation rules against fish. I found it incredulous and i told him as much. Matter of fact, one of my sisters had flown out with lots of fish with her only a couple of weeks earlier. My explanations fell on "deaf" ears!

Then he suggested that i buy him soda (or tea?) to allow me take my fish. I did not pay attention to that and proceeded to zip up my luggage. He stopped me from zipping the bag and insisted i get him some money first. I hate bribes. I preach against bribery and corruption. Anyway, i just told him i have no money. The man insisted that i go back out and get money from my people outside. Strange!

When i showed that he was wasting my time and that i was not going back, he left everybody else pass and he zeroed in on my bag like it had a special interest item. At one point i thought he wanted to plant drugs on me and get me behind bars for fun or something. So i asked him: "By the way, how much money do you want"?
"Fifty thousand", he said.
"Oh, i do not have that with me." The man became even more serious. I could now see tears of poverty or sheer greed welling up in his eyes. Mr Festus Kananura, shame, shame, shame! On a good day, i could give you twenty dollars without doing anything for me, but demanding a bribe from a law-abiding citizen is way off.

Poverty is a disease. Bribery and corruption are driving our country down the drain of backwardness. Entebbe is the gateway to Uganda and to the world. Simple minds like that of Festus Kananura should not be there, stamping mind-dirt on hardworking jetset personalities.

I missed my flight and of course caused a few heads to roll. To my face, Kananura denied asking for money. He has a seared conscience (1 Timothy 4:2)! The Civil Aviation Authority's security department personnel showed clear absence of impartiality when they refused to play back the CCTV footage of my time at the security scanner. I wonder whether the CCTV even works. The automatic ticketing gates were working on and off. Someone must have "eaten" the maintenance budget!

When i came for my flight two days later, no one made a fuss over my fish? Why? Oh, Uganda! For me it was just dry fish, but some people fly around the world to save lives. Delaying them causes death.

~/`~/`.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kezya Wulandari said...

Hi there, I was surfing the internet and I found your blog. I like the way how you have put it all together. I'll be coming back again.
Very interesting site.
Please donĀ“t forget to visit my blog.
http://tamboenman.blogspot.com

12:35 PM  
Blogger ninest123 said...

ninest123 16.03
ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet online, longchamp outlet, longchamp, replica watches, jordan shoes, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, burberry, nike air max, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, louis vuitton, uggs on sale, polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike air max, replica watches, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, nike free, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, ugg boots, nike outlet, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors, louis vuitton, prada handbags, tiffany jewelry

6:21 AM  
Blogger ninest123 said...

true religion jeans, ralph lauren uk, ray ban pas cher, coach outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, kate spade handbags, nike blazer, vanessa bruno, sac guess, lacoste pas cher, longchamp pas cher, north face, converse pas cher, nike free, sac longchamp, nike roshe run, michael kors, hermes, burberry, timberland, nike free run uk, true religion outlet, mulberry, north face, true religion jeans, hollister, nike air max, nike roshe, abercrombie and fitch, air max, coach outlet, kate spade outlet, vans pas cher, ray ban uk, louboutin pas cher, michael kors, coach purses, air jordan pas cher, michael kors, true religion jeans, hollister pas cher, lululemon, hogan, tn pas cher, michael kors, nike air max, nike air max, oakley pas cher, replica handbags, air force, new balance pas cher

6:23 AM  
Blogger ninest123 said...

mcm handbags, ghd, iphone 6s plus cases, reebok shoes, north face outlet, insanity workout, mac cosmetics, wedding dresses, abercrombie and fitch, celine handbags, s5 cases, iphone 6 cases, oakley, bottega veneta, birkin bag, soccer jerseys, nike roshe, hollister, soccer shoes, nike air max, timberland boots, nfl jerseys, vans shoes, iphone 5s cases, ferragamo shoes, baseball bats, lululemon, hollister, mont blanc, asics running shoes, louboutin, longchamp, north face outlet, babyliss, hollister, p90x workout, chi flat iron, ipad cases, new balance, iphone 6 plus cases, iphone 6s cases, instyler, herve leger, giuseppe zanotti, nike air max, jimmy choo shoes, ralph lauren, nike huarache, beats by dre, nike trainers, iphone cases, valentino shoes

6:25 AM  
Blogger ninest123 said...

converse outlet, sac louis vuitton pas cher, marc jacobs, replica watches, gucci, ray ban, ugg boots uk, moncler, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, swarovski, moncler, canada goose outlet, canada goose uk, converse, doudoune canada goose, lancel, barbour jackets, canada goose, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, ugg pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, supra shoes, pandora jewelry, moncler, coach outlet, canada goose, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, wedding dresses, pandora charms, moncler outlet, toms shoes, montre pas cher, hollister, karen millen, moncler, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, moncler, links of london, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, bottes ugg, pandora jewelry, vans, canada goose, moncler
ninest123 16.03

6:27 AM  
Blogger dong dong23 said...

michael kors purses
adidas originals
hollister clothing
oakley sunglasses
kobe 11
louis vuitton outlet
louboutin pas cher
louis vuitton handbags
mont blanc pens
ray bans
michael kors handbags
nike uk
jordans
ray ban
jordan 6
ralph lauren outlet
michael kors
christian louboutin outlet
nike air max
tiffany outlet
coach factorty outlet
juicy couture
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet clearance
christian louboutin shoes
coach factory
cheap jordans
nike air max
ugg boots
nike roshe flyknit
true religion shorts
michael kors outlet
fitflops sale clearance
polo ralph shirts
lebron james shoes 12
coach outlet store online
ray ban outlet
louis vuitton
hollister clothing
kevin durant shoes
20164.18wengdongdong

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home